Friday, May 8, 2009

As Promised

So this was supposed to be a Nick Markakis shirt. He's only one of the best players in the American League, plus he's on my Fantasy Baseball team. It wouldn't be so bad to wear that shirt, right? He's still a dirty birdie but it's not his fault. They drafted him. However, this is not a Nick Markakis shirt. In fact there are NO Markakis shirts in the entire Albany area. I asked a couple of shop owners if they had any to which the reply was, "Who? All we got are those Ripken shirts." Really? You run a sports store and you don't know who Nick Markakis is? It's not like Baltimore is on the other side of the world. It's a five and a half hour car ride. A 45 minute plane ride. So I held out for awhile thinking a Markakis shirt would spring from the soil after a good soaking rain. No, that didn't happen. So now I own a Cal Ripken Jr. shirt. It's not that it's a bad thing, Cal is awesome in every way imaginable. He makes bald work, not many white guys can pull that off. But, he doesn't play anymore and people who know absolutely nothing about baseball would wear a Ripken shirt because he was "cool" and an "Iron Man." See, if I was wearing a Markakis shirt people would say, "Wow, this cat must know his baseball because I have no f'ing clue who that is, but I could sure go for a slice of Angelfood cake right now."

3 comments:

blogzilly said...

I remember a day when an Orioles shirt actually MEANT something.

JO said...

I have a Markakis shirt, jealous?

Matt said...

Ken- In two years, the Orioles will be competing. Trust me. They have a studs in LF and RF. A very solid 2B, a catcher who will be up within the month that is being compared to Carlton Fisk and the young starting pitching will be ready to go next year. You'll want to be an Orioles fan again. They're are going to a fun team to watch.

Jacquie- Yes, a little. If only I wanted to pay for shipping from online stores I'd have one too.