Monday, October 27, 2008

The Bathroom in Review: Days 2 and 3

I must have been high on crack to think I'd have this bathroom done in two days. What in my past history would compel to think otherwise? It's been one mess after another. On Saturday I went back to Lowes, got a new tub faucet and a grab bag o' replacement parts. Five hours later my father and I finally figured out how to actually get the water to turn off in the tub. We were going off the pieces from the previous faucet and went from there. Big mistake. The previous tenants I'm convinced were borderline retarded. They were the ultimate anti-McGyver of home repairs. I say anti because McGyver was cool and could blow shit up on purpose with toothpaste. These people, they wouldn't blow it up right away and not on purpose. They would just leave a ticking time bomb at the scene of the crime in the form of faulty wiring or loose pipes and wait for it to explode five years later.

Other than fixing some of their dumb problems and getting some beadboard on the wall, not much got done. In about 11 hours of work, I literally had nothing to show for it. Went to a get-together at my cousin's house that night, got accidentally drunk and spent the night on his futon. By "accidental" I mean I was drinking something that I had no idea what was in it. I could taste a hint of cranberry juice and not much else. Apparently a 12-pack of beer and a bottle of vodka were also among the list of ingredients. Needless to say, Sunday renovations were slow, and even slower when I broke my miter saw.

Megan and the baby came home at 4:30pm on Sunday to no sink, no vanity, no toilet, no painted walls, no moulding, and half of the beadboard. Yeah, when this bathroom is finished sometime in 2011 I want to sell this house. I want to rid myself of this curse and move into a home that has standard measurements, and actual blueprints, and level walls and floors. It's not that much too ask for. I'll even go so far to say that I'd move into a townhouse if it was nice enough (many townhouses in the Albany area are stuck in the dirty 80's). I'd also even move further out of the metropolitan area to get more bang for my ever declining buck. The country is nice, right? I always pictured the country to look like the movie "Funny Farm." That's probably the expensive rural areas... the normal countryside is covered in seas of corn, 1992 Ford trucks, tobacco stains and John Deere hats.

Anyone have a house they are selling with my requirements? I want to know.

No comments: