Tuesday, October 28, 2008

From the Vault #4: Jesse the Special Chameleon

It's been a few days since our last look into the vault so it's time to pull something out that isn't from Mike Bray Cartoon. Here's one that I had totally forgotten about until I stumbled on the files earlier this morning. Back at the end of 2002, a friend of mine had asked if I'd be interested in illustrating a kids book he was looking to write about a crippled chameleon. Yes, a crippled chameleon. I agreed because I figured the children's book market couldn't be too saturated with stories about reptiles with three legs named Jesse. Plus it would be good practice for me to stay in the world of drawing. A few months earlier I had started my career in broadcast news, and there really wasn't much room for my type of doodles on boob tube.


We really didn't get too far on the project. I think maybe three pages and the cover was all that got designed. In all honesty, I don't remember ever receiving the story to work from. Oh well, atleast we got this image (and a few others) to show for it. He was kind of cute, even if his stump leg kind of looked like a penis.

1 comment:

bhmstuff said...

Keep the illustrations coming my boy... I can't get enough of them!